1 cup rajgira flour/amaranth(I roasted the rajgira and powederd it was a little coarse, if using store bought rajgira flour,add 1tbsp semolina/sooji to it.)
1&1/4 cup atta/whole wheat flour
Salt to taste
Water to mix the flours to dough.
- Mix well the rajgira flour with whole wheat flour and salt and add just enough water and knead to form a stiff but pliable dough .
- Cover with a damp cloth or damp tissue and keep aside for 30 mins.
- Mix again( donot knead).
- Pinch of small lemon sized dough and roll them in between your palms to make small and smooth rounds .
- Flatten and roll out into puris or use a puri press.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and when hot, slide (donot drop) one puri at a time .
- When the puri starts to rise a little put a slotted spatula on the puri apply very gentle pressure.
- The puri will puff, turn and cook till the puri is golden brown on both sides.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the others.
- Serve hot with curry of your choice or just sprinkle some sugar when the puris are hot.
- You can also make masala puris by adding green chilly paste or redchilly pwd along with some garam masala and kala namak(black salt).
- Can add tomato puree instead of water for kneading the dough to make tomato puris.